Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Strict formality: The hinderer of spontaneous mental fluidity."




After learning the importance of safety as well as spatial and movement awareness, I was intrigued to continue moving forward into chapters 3 and 4 of Jenn Zuko's "Stage Combat" book. A lot of the subject material regarding unarmed combat and basic body movement techniques also known as "Taihenjutsu" allowed me to recall my younger years as a gymnast. The intensity of self discipline and work it takes to dedicate yourself to a balanced mental and physical state. In having this state, it allows you the benefit to earn movements that most people will deam, "impossible" or "unimaginable."
 No matter what one does, it takes work! I especially enjoyed and learned greatly from the portion of Chapter 4: Unarmed Combat, regarding proper spacing for any maneuver, as well as what every overworked individual envies: "Knap-Time!" After watching the intro video, it not only makes learning more about stage combat much more fun and exciting. It brought me back to a classic film that I could only dedicate over to one person. My very own brother, I'm pretty sure you are curious of what film I'm speaking about. It is the ever-legendary: "The Karate Kid." Why I bring up my brother isn't necessarily about what we deem mainstream Karate however, He has lived over in Okinawa for over 8 years and has worked with the legendary Uehara Seikichi, who has allowed the palace defense art of Okinawa, Motobo Udundi to carry on. My brother being one of the only people in the world accepted into his dojo is an action that speaks in multitudes about his philosophy of this martial art. No, I'm not a professional fighter. It may seem absurd all this banter, however growing up with him, he has taught me to hold a respect for any defensive art, even if it is stage combat. Hold a high respect for the body and mind as the physical instruments to what will eventually be a beautiful result, earned with hard work.  Eventually hitting your hands against sand bags, its painful but it's strength you build for yourself.

Being free and fluid in moment, and not tight and congested with minute day-by-day issues. Letting go and achieving ultimate growth. This is our time to practice, and learn from when our side rolls look like somersaults and our falls just don't fall quite right. In the long run, with work and proper methods in stretching and caring for our bodies, We will get there.

That is what the ultimate meaning behind my post name means and it is the one of the principles behind the art of Motobo Udundi.

Being that Uehara Seikichi saved Motobo Udundi, simply by being curious and hungry to learn from the Emperor of Okinawa in his younger years. When the Emperor tried to teach his own son, he didn't dedicate himself to the art. Instead, seeing that his palace was to be sieged he gave the highest honors to him and allowed him to train the next generation of royal bodyguards, one within our most recent generation is my brother. Uehara Seikichi passed away a few years back, however his many lessons of hard work and discipline makes him a legend.

 I will keep him mind as I continue to work hard with these new found stage combat skills I will gain.




No comments:

Post a Comment