Monday, October 7, 2013

Fight Club Clip #1

I know this is so early, but I wanted to post it in advance so I'm not worrying about it the night before I present ;D

For my fight club clip, I have chosen the three way sword fight from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Dead man's Chest.

1. Style/Genre: Expressionistic and swashbuckling. Expressionistic because it is comedic yet has a serious tone to it, and has some fancy moves added in here and there for fun. Swashbuckling because well, you can't get any close to swashbuckling than 3 pirates sword fighting.

2. Three Rules for Actors:

Objective: Obviously they all desire Davy Jones's heart. Will Turner wants to fulfill the promise he made to his dad and set him free. Captain Jack Sparrow wants the chest to save his soul, and James Norrington wants the chest to regain his honor as commodore.

Tactics: Clearly their tactics are to resort straight to violence as opposed to talking things through.

Obstacles: The obstacles are each other, and some of the architecture they encounter that makes the fight a little more difficult to carry out.

3. In the plot, just before the fight, Will had escaped Davy Jones' crew with the key to his chest that has his heart in it. Jack had mentioned that if Lord Beckett were to have the chest, he would rule the seas, little did he know that Norrington was eavesdropping and already plotting to steal the key for himself to hand deliver to Beckett. Meanwhile, they all arrive on an Island where they plan to figure out what to do with the chest. The fight breaks out then while they are trying to decide what to do, everyone wants Davy Jones' chest for their own reason which is why the fight broke out. It is hard to say if this fight was evenly matched because at any given moment (depending on who had the key) it could be a 2 v 1 even though they weren't really teamed up.

Directly after the fight, it is safe to say the Captain Jack Sparrow wins because he gets the key to open the chest and put Davy Jones' heart in a jar of dirt. However, Norrington put two and two together and noticed how the sand where Jack had put the heart in the jar. Norrington steals the heart and chest and brings it back to Beckett. So in reality, Norrington wins the fight.

4. Stunt Doubles: 
Norrington: Thomas DuPont
Turner: Mark Aaron Wagner
 Sparrow: Tony Angelotti

 5. I chose this fight scene because it is one of my favorite fight scenes, and I was a huge pirates of the caribbean fan back in the day. This scene is highly humorous at points, and is entertaining to watch, I think I died the first time I saw it in theatres, and it still proves its humor today!


I hope I have enlightened you today!

-Tatum R.




No comments:

Post a Comment