Friday, October 11, 2013

Finally, swords!

My father was a fencer in his younger years, and every once in a while, he'd lend me his gear, and he'd teach me the basics of sword fighting.  You can then see my absolute excitement to be at the hilt of a sword again, and despite no formal training in terms of classes and tournaments, it's hard for me to go from learned-fencing to stage-combat, let's not hurt the other person.

There are more terms associated with a sword than I had originally thought, but I shouldn't really be surprised.  There are just so many!

Another was the common-sense, yet totally forgotten concept of working out the arms in order to hold and maintain control of a pointed object at the end of our arms.  One thing I noticed while running through the stage-combat moves was that I'd managed to lose that precision and control, as I don't really work out my arms as I should.  I tried playing with my foil when I got home, and was incredibly disappointed to see I'd pretty much lost anything, and I should start doing push-ups again.

I'm sort of terrified about stabbing people with the wimpy-arm syndrome I seem to have at the moment, but hopefully this will all cease to be such a huge concern once practise starts coming into play.

                                                       What we're not doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment