Friday, October 4, 2013

Unarmed Reflection and Mamet Fights

I really found the reading this week to be very interesting.  The idea to "Fight like Mamet writes" makes a lot of sense, especially when trying to be as realistic as possible.  I imagine that it could be very hard to choreograph such, or at least a bit more challenging to learn maybe?  I'm not sure why, it just seems in my mind like the overlap of moves has the potential to become messy, which would require precision, and thus a lot of practice.  But for a spot-on realistic fight, this is the perfect way to think about things.  Fighting in real life is messy -- you act on instinct and try as hard as you can to beat someone down before they can get their own hits in -- so if the goal of acting is to (at least in some was) portray 'life on stage', it only makes sense to, as they say, "fight like Mamet writes."

Now, looking back onto the unarmed fights in our class, I think we all did pretty well!  I very much enjoyed watching everyone's performances, and it was great to see how everyone approached the fights in different ways.  Unfortunately, I didn't take notes while watching, but I'll do my best to comment on each fight from memory!

Peter and Fred:  This was a fun fight.  I liked the comedic flair they threw in from time to time -- the cigarette, the pedal feet to keep an attack at bay, etc.  The little pauses that they included definitely helped the audience follow the action, especially when there were a few times that the guys were practically jumping at each other.  ;P  Beyond just small punctuation, it was nice to have those 'breather' moments, like when Peter took out the cigarette and started to walk away.

Gordon and Mike:  I also liked the comedy thrown into this fight!  There was a nice flow of movement in this fight, and some nice moments when they seemed to size each other up.  I did personally feel that it could have easily ended sooner, and I loved when Gordon offered a helping hand only to punch Mike down again, but it all worked well.

Bruce and Maggie:  Short and sweet!  I had a little trouble catching on to the issue that started the fight, but I like that there wasn't too much flair, and everything flowed pretty well.  A few knaps were late, but it was clear that they were having fun.  :']

Clara and Habel: This fight was pretty cool.  There were great vocalizations, and good knaps.  I like that everything had a really clear through-line -- it flowed nicely, and there was always a reason behind each move.  Really fun to see a more serious fight for this assignment.

Sam and Anthony:  Another fun and interesting fight!  You could tell that they had fun with their choreography, which is always nice.  I seem to remember a fall that worried me a bit, but all in all it was nicely done.  Loved the ending!

Mikayla and Brittany:  This was pretty great.  There were a lot of very good vocalizations for these girls, and some creative moves.  You could definitely tell they were having fun, but they also stayed intense in their fight while performing.  The Superman punch was pretty great -- and so intense, punching her like that while she was on the floor!  Definitely a fun fight.

Gina, Tatum, and me:  I really enjoyed this project, and I think we did a pretty good job of collaborating!  We had a lot of fun, and I was glad that we kept it simple so that we could get a decent amount of practice in before having to present.  I had a lot of fun with both Gina and Tatum, and really enjoyed working through choreographing and getting through some kinks as we ran into them.  In the end, I felt good about our performance!  :'D

Unarmed fights are certainly a lot of fun, and I'm very glad to have more practice with them.  I enjoyed all of these presentations, and had so much fun learning with everyone in our class along the way.  I'm excited to move onto more exploration!

Below is an adorable gif that maybe doesn't fit the intensity of Mamet, or what a full-speed fight should look like, but that represents sort of how I felt about this process -- stage combat should be intense, but safe, and done with trust.

I hope that you all have a lovely weekend!

- Chesney O

[Source: my 'GIF' bookmark saves, honestly -- Tumblr (www.tumblr.com) is where the photo originates, though I do not know from which post...]

No comments:

Post a Comment