Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Essentials of Stage Combat

After reading the first two chapters in Stage Combat by Jenn Zuko, It brought me back to memories during a production of “Little Shop of Horrors” when I was cast as Audrey. For anyone that is familiar with this musical knows about the ever-popular sadist dentist and his abusive behavior to Audrey. During this production I performed in, there was no attention to the potential “unlucky thirteen”, spatial awareness, or distancing.
I will admit that, unfortunately, I did deliver a real slap to Seymour, (not only once, but twice!), and was also thrown across the stage by the Doctor. All safety rules were all thrown out the window and never acknowledged. At the time, I thought it was a fun, adventurous risk. Little did I know of the potential issues that could have come from all those risky director demands.
After reviewing these chapters I have learned the importance of learning stage combat as to not potentially severely injure a fellow performer, or even worst, permanently affecting their life with blindness or deafness. Senses play a strong part with the way we, “emotional acrobats” are able to deliver a throughout performance. From now on I will request alternatives to the real thing, utilizing the skills I’ll learn during this course. I am ecstatic to learn and see that there are people like Jenn out there willing to teach these methods! (Thank you!) 

 As we all know Jackie Chan does his own stunts. Being a professional martial artist he can handle a few major hits of his own, however being that we are not at his level
it can contribute to a permanent injury or losing a job in not having this simple awareness. 
It is simply not worth the risk! 

-Gina Bauza
 
 
Image Citation:
"Injured Jackie Chan" Photograph. http://www.screenslam.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Injured-Actors-banner.jpg. March. 15th, 2013. Web. Aug. 28th, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment