Friday, September 6, 2013

Falls, Movement, and Unarmed Combat~

I was very interested to read up on these sections after practicing some in class, and in preparation for class learning of unarmed combat.  I've done very little in the way of unarmed combat -- we had a small section on it when I was in a high school class, but it was brief, and I honestly never felt very good about what I learned.  I wasn't necessarily surprised at much of the information, but I was impressed with just how many variations there are of different 'attacks'.

Honestly, I will need more practice with a number of the rolls we practiced in class, and I will definitely need to see and feel all unarmed approaches in person -- I do so much better learning physical things in the classroom as opposed to just reading about what my body should be doing on a page.  I often get confused or unsure when I read about what my body should be doing, so it will be spectacular to practice all of these exercises in class!

I'll be very interested to feel how all of this will, and to practice in the upcoming weeks.  I always feel a little awkward when even just jokingly 'throwing a punch' in slow-motion at a friend who also knows a bit of stage combat and can react a bit, so I'm hoping that practice will make me feel a bit more comfortable about my technique, if nothing else.  I also really think I should try and find a punching bag I can have access to, and get a feel for what it feels like to really punch something.  I've done it before, but it was long ago, and I don't remember the feeling well.  This is where some self defense and general knowledge of fighting would come in handy, but unfortunately I don't know much about that.

Below is a picture of what I assume I may look like when I do finally find a punching bag.  :']

- Chesney O

[Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/530244-what-muscles-does-an-exercise-punching-bag-work/ ]

No comments:

Post a Comment