Saturday, October 5, 2013

Sword Fighting yay!

After unarmed fights, it was only obvious that armed fights would be next, specifically sword/rapier fighting! Oh it's always been a dream of mine to be a fencer (that's a hidden skill I am going to work on), but in addition to that, stage combat sword fighting is something fun as well, not quite the same techniques as fencing, but on stage it all looks cool!

So for the reading, European Swords, of course it was about European swords. Specifically the rapier. I liked learning the rapier drill in class, and then going back and reading about it in the book to make a connection between the physical and written directions.

Something I loved that the chapter mentioned, was conditioning. What a concept! I have not weight lifted consistently in a long time (as I noticed very well yesterday while practicing with the steel swords). There were several hand exercises listed to help with that grip strength in the hand while holding the sword. I knew when I walked in 15 minutes late to class that I would not be able to get to use the steel swords if they were brought out today, but it was a pleasant surprise when Jenn let us all experience the use of the rapiers! I quickly began to regret not sticking with my upper arm weight lifting routine because my arms got tired fast!

All in all, the techniques presented in this chapter are very particular towards stage sword play, not actual sword fighting! So I highly recommend sword fighters to take a look at the differences of sword fighting and stage sword fighting :)

Annnnnd picture for the post today...this is how I would like to think I am when I sword fight, a mere swashbuckling pirate, alas no.


Yes, James Norrington, Will Turner, and Jack Sparrow fighting over the key to Davey Jones's chest with his heat in it.

I hope I have enlightened you today!

-Tatum R.

No comments:

Post a Comment