Friday, October 4, 2013

To fight like Mamet Writes and Unarmed Fights! :D

Hello all!

After reading the article assigned to us I took a bit a time to allow it to absorb in my thoughts. Sure, maybe a little too long considering I am posting my blog right now for the good part I can at least convey what I found the most interesting aspect of the article is. 

Simply put I found the rule, "Every action has a reaction," to play well with the article. When the dialogue is natural it bring an invisible feel of truth to the situation, ending up that the audience gets a good read from what is being performed. There is no waiting, you must move. In real life if something is coming at you, oh lets say a car, you move! That is a true realism we all associate and perhaps many animals in the wild associate themselves with for the survival of our most of the time, not so soft and fluffy world we exist in. Likewise in the reactions we are striving to attain as performers. 

That includes the revelation that yes, scary fighting people can make mistakes too! 
"Oh I thought it was YOU that stole my candy bar... but it was really your friend?!" 

Dialogue should enhance your reaction and lead into other motives of your character.
...and when you have to move... MOVE! :D

Now, onto the Unarmed fights! *ding ding!* 

Peter and Fred:  I enjoyed the rhythm of this fight. The initiation and motive behind the movements, oh, and who can forget the random, "I'm done... time for a smoke!" action. 
Great work guys!

Gordon and Mike: This. was. hilarious! That unforgettable roll out of the stomp of doom was delightful. The choice of running away at the end was great too. Overall great character portrayals of revenge and escape! Punches and rolls were executed very well! 

Bruce and Maggie: The beginning, I admit was a bit confusing. Maggie did well on her falls. It felt a bit hesitant and as an observer I was hoping for just a bit more energy and determination for each execution. Over all though it was executed and certain parts, in particular the vocalizations and falls, really shined.  

Clara and Habel: Some parts during this fight I felt were very strong, during the transitions however, it appeared a little hesitant. Lots of motives and determinations. Falls and knaps worked well! Careful on what angle you are giving the audience as some of the secret of real punches were a little revealed. Over all, I loved the energy given and the varied thought process of each character portrayed. :)

Sam and Anthony:  Ahh! This ending was just awesome! I wish it was held out a little but longer just so we may believe the actual choking situation (Meh, I still believed it.. but a little longer would have been great! XD) Loved the energy both of you put in just to put both of yourself out of commission. Great work! 

Mikayla and Brittany:  Awesome Superman punch! The concept of the paper, rock, scissors was unique and really read well. A great mix of sweet and salty. Great work!

Chesney, Tatum, and Me: Overall I enjoyed the simplicity of what we created. The choke to groin kick was my favorite. :) Also the Tatum-Chesney slappy happy move. Lots of fun! :D Great work gals!

No comments:

Post a Comment